Thursday, May 7, 2009

Guerilla Marketing Idea #1: Napkin Message


As I said in my former post which was a small introduction for the guerilla marketing technique (Guerilla Marketing Basics), I am going to talk about a small idea for a marketing campaign and as you probably figured out by now it has something to do with a message on a napkin. 


I have started using this idea a couple of years ago and I can tell you it worked great. I didn't actually thought much about it at that time, but after seeing some results I started using it more and more and now I made a habit out of leaving scribbled napkins in bars with my websites or other kind of messages.

I started this just as an experiment. My father was a mechanic and I wanted to help him get some new customers. So I was in one of those bars where people meet to talk about cars and I thought I just leave one or two napkins with a simple message like: "Car Mechanic" "Name" "phone number", just to see what happens. 

And so I left them there and never gave them a second thought, until about a week later when my father's phone started ringing with people wanting to fix they’re cars. Not many ... but these where people who found the phone number on the very same napkins I left in that bar. Not many people at first just 2 or 3, but they started referring my Father's business to their friends and so on.

Since then I have made a habit of leaving these kinds of messages in bars wherever I go. It's not much but it makes a difference, and it is absolutely no effort to me, so why not.

A very important aspect you need to keep in mind is that the notes are hand made so they look like something someone forgot there and they look less like a marketing message. People will catch on quick if that is the case.

4 comments:

  1. Anything that will bring visitors to your site is a good idea. This technique is a good idea for a site with a broad target market, and if your market targets those who work in the food/beverage niche, it is a GREAT idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey dude this is a good idea. i think many of the people would get attracted towards it . i will also try and tell you the result.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why haven't you read the World's Most Important Business Books? http://su.pr/2l3fbv

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was interesting to read about this, I’m glad that the experiment worked for you. Maybe I could give it a try for my local business as well. I’m already investing in Adwords Marketing and social media ads, but I don’t see any loss in trying out innovative marketing ideas like these.

    ReplyDelete